The Majority New Patriotic Party (NPP) in Parliament, may have to approve Senior Minister Nominee , Osafo Maafo and Energy Minister Nominee, Boakye Agyarko without the Minority's support.
Parliament has approved the nomination of 8 ministerial nominees to serve in the Nana Akufo-Addo led New Patriotic Party (NPP) government.
A report presented to the House by the Appointments Committee tasked to vet the nominees, recommended the approval of 8 out of the 13 nominees who appeared before the committee with the minister-nominee of Energy, Boakye Agyarko, and Senior minister nominee, Osafo Maafo being excluded.
Though the two subsequently submitted documentary evidence on Thursday as part of efforts to ensure their approval, Citi News' Duke Opoku Mensah who was in Parliament today [Friday], reported that the Minority is still not cooperating.
“The information I'm picking from the corridors of Parliament is that, there has been a deadlock with regards to a consensus to be reached on the Senior Minister nominee and Minister Nominee for Energy . What I'm picking up is that, the leadership has not been able to reach a consensus…The majority would have to use its sheer force of numbers to ensure the approval,” Duke reported.
Minority leader Haruna Iddrisu had explained that, they needed some “additional information” on statements they both made before the Committee during the vetting.
He said Mr. Agyarko provided some “inaccurate” information relating to the “debt associated with the Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG) and the Volta River Authority (VRA).”
By: Marian Ansah/citifmonline.com/Ghana
- Produce evidence, NPP MPs challenge Ayariga's bribery allegation
- I made bribery allegation up - Mahama Ayariga withdraws claim
- Minority boycotts Agyarko, Osafo-Maafo’s approval
- Minority protests, Majority prevails as Maafo, Agyarko sail through
- Bribery Scandal hits Parliament; Ayariga fingers Agyarko
- Involve NDC in 60th anniversary planning – Mpiani
- ‘I Want God To Lead The NDC Not Me’ – Rawlings Calls For Introspection
- Provocative Conscience (PC): Of Trainee Allowances And Matters Arising
- How Could This Happen At The Tema Development Corporation?
- The Hard Truth Series: Student Leaders Must Accept Criticism