A private legal practitioner is demanding immediate dismissal of the Accra Mayor's police bodyguard for acting like a “madman”.
Lawyer Nii Akwei Bruce Thompson, whose car tyres were shot by the bodyguard of Alfred Vanderpuije says he will not rest until action is taken against the police officer.
The Mayor has denied ordering his bodyguard to shoot the lawyer's Pontiac Vibe saloon car which trailed his vehicle in traffic at James Town.
The police officer was said to have impounded the vehicle after shooting at the tyres.
Even though Mr.Vanderpuije sat and witnessed the conduct of his bodyguard from his car, he was unperturbed when he was confronted with what the officer had done, the lawyer said.
Nii Akwei Bruce Thompson explained to Joy News that he followed the convoy of the Accra Mayor to confront him about his use of the siren, which he deemed improper.
He ended up having his tyres deflated by the police officer, whom he accused of misusing his gun.
“The law should prevail in this country. A policeman cannot act like a madman…I think that justice must be served, we cannot have madmen in police uniforms. He [the bodyguard] doesn't deserve the police uniform,” he maintained.
Police must resort to the use of arms when necessary to save life, he cautioned. Shoot-to-kill is even discouraged as police personnel are rather advised to shoot the legs of armed robbers trying to escape.
Mr. Bruce Thompson told Joy News' Francis Abban, he will hold the Ghana Police Service and the Accra Metropolitan Assembly responsible for the incident and will not rest until he gets justice.
Meanwhile, Joy News is learning that the lawyer has been invited by the Police Intelligence and Professional Standards Bureau, PIPS, as the Inspector General of Police orders investigations into the incident.
Listen to Mr. Bruce Thompson below:
- Manhyia Palace Summons Afriyie Acquah’s Wife, Amanda For Mentioning Otumfuor In Her Infamous Mona Audio
- Gh 263million lost in Central Medical Stores fire disaster
- I thank God for my life - Afotey Agbo
- HOT SHOTS: ‘Fraudulent’ HIV/AIDS Ambassador- Joyce Dzidzor Nartey Releases New Promo Photos
- Central Medical Stores Had No Insurance
- Mampong Midwifery Training School Donates Items To 3 Nurses Who Were Fire Victims
- Another Prophecy: Pregnant Women To Be Killed For Rituals
- Mampong Municipal Health Directorate 2014 Performance Review
- Veep Seeks To Deepen Ghana/spain Economic Relations
- Omane Boamah discounts reports about digital migration