The Board of the Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG) says it cannot execute a directive by the Energy Minister that some senior management members in Kumasi be interdicted for the loss of 21,000 prepaid metres in a warehouse fire.
Joy News' source at the power distributor said the Minister's directive amounts to interference, which is inimical to the company's code; which stipulates that the company must resist at all cost, a third party's interference.
Following the destruction of about 21,000 meters belonging to the ECG in a fire outbreak at an abandoned warehouse, Dr. Kwabena Donkor, Energy Minister, in a statement dated January 8 directed the ECG board to interdict six persons “with immediate effect”.
The Acting General Manager, Ing. Emmanuel T. Akinie
The Asokwa District Manager, Ing. Yakubu Harrison
The Regional Commercial Manager, Mr. Michael T.B. Boadu
The GEDDAP II prepayment project manager, Mr. Kwadwo Ayensu
The Materials and Transport Director, Alhaji Daubi Alhassan Jango
The Project Accountant, Mr. Samuel Ofori
The Minister said a committee of enquiry would be inaugurated to investigate the cause of the fire early this week and to make recommendations to forestall future occurrences.
However, the Board, according to Joy News Elton Brobbey said since ECG is a limited liability company, it can only consider the Minister's directive as a proposal.
Board is expected to sit on Wednesday and consider the proposal. The six persons mentioned above are still at post, Joy News gathered.
The Board said an internal committee that investigated the incident is putting their report together which will inform the way forward.
It has also been revealed that the destroyed meters cost more than the 2 million dollars initially reported. The actual cost is 2.6 million dollars.
Even more disturbing, is the revelation that the metres were uninsured, meaning there is no cushion for the company following the disaster.
- Cartoon: HIV dilemma
- Mother of two dies after marathon sex with lover
- Nzema youth urged to take advantage of oil exploration
- Photos : Metro Mass Transit workers embark on strike
- Sammy Kuffuor charged with assault; uses thugs to harass shop owner
- Photos: Mona | Kenpong's girlfriend living the highlife | Money makes the world go round pictures
- AUDIO: Mona Exposed | Asamoah Gyan has eaten Ghanaian Millionaire Kennedy Agyepong AKA Kenpong's wife Mona says ex-wife amanda | Even Sulley Muntari, Emmanuel Adebayor and Others Have all slept with her
- Mahama rallies Abudus and Andanis for peace
- Photos: Rev Mike Abossey launches 'Prayer; Divine Conversation'
- TMA rolls out regeneration plan in bid to retain industrial hub status