A teenager, Atta Kofi Kyei, believed to be behind attacks on students on the University of Ghana campus at Legon in Accra, has been arrested.
The police described the suspect as a hardened criminal who terrorised students on the university campus by snatching ladies’ hand bags and in some cases sexually assaulting his victims.
The arrest of Kyei, 18, alias ‘Freshboy,’ the police said, had come as a relief.
Attack of female student
Briefing journalists, the Deputy Accra Regional Police Commander, Assistant Commissioner of Police Mr Timothy Y. Bongo, said Kyei was arrested on January 10, 2015 after he had attacked a female student.
He said Kyei emerged from the bush on the Pentagon-TF stretch of the road on the university campus and snatched the bag of the victim, whose name has been withheld.
After snatching the bag, Mr Bonga said, Kyei bolted into the bush with the bag, which contained GH¢2,000 and the personal belongings of the student.
“The victim shouted for help and quickly reported the incident to a police visibility point close by. The police personnel quickly followed up to the location of the incident,” he added.
The police found the suspect about to jump on a motorbike on the main road and pursued him, but Kyei abandoned the motorcycle and bolted.
As part of investigations, he said, the police impounded the motorbike and towed it to the Legon Police Station.
Three days later, he said a man reported at the station and claimed ownership of the motorcycle.
Mr Bongo said the man was immediately arrested and, upon interrogation, he led the police to Kyei’s hideout.
Kyei subsequently led the police to the bush where the victim’s handbag was retrieved.
- Youth Of Today Only Work On Whatsapp...They've Lost Control Over Their Common Sense
- President Mahama Charges Police Service To Bring Perpetrators Of Murders To Book
- Circuit Court Has No Jurisdiction Over Rape Cases—Justice Emmanuel Ekow Mensah
- Police To Implement GHC60 Spot Fines
- Nayele Saga: Any Ordinary Person Can File For A Review?
- Amanda Owusu is Afriyie Acquah wife photo pictures
- The sorry story of disabled outcast Joseph Atanga
- Operation Cowleg re-introduced in Agogo to curb Fulani menace
- MoH begins process to insure its installations
- GhanaMade donates to 'Save Them Young' orphanage