The embattled broadcaster and showbiz icon, Kwasi Kyei Darkwah, popularly called KKD, after a long fight for freedom, was yesterday granted bail by an Accra Human Rights Court on humanitarian grounds.
KKD is hoping to have the rape charge against him dropped following a letter purportedly written by his accuser that she was no longer interested in the case.
However, the Attorney-General (A-G) says it doubts the authenticity of the said letter allegedly written by Ewuraffe Orleans Thompson, 19, the complainant who had accused KKD of raping her.
- KKD shocked again!!! Formally Charged With Rape as State Presses On With Prosecution
- KKD Rape Saga: Ewuraffe Could Be Charged + New PHOTO
- Dela Goldheart tells her encounter with KKD - It could have been me
- Wrong' KKD 'Rape' Victim Threatens To Sue Media Houses
- Malaka Grant, The Woman Who Claims KKD Asked Her Our for a Date When She Was ONLY 12 Years Old Tells Her Whole Story | Says KKD is a PREDATOR
- Another Ghanaian Woman Tells GC How KKD ‘Raped’ Her When She Was 16 Years | Read Her Whole Story Here
- Ghana's Bill Cosby AKA KKD Allegations of KKD Sexually Assaulting 2 Women in Past Flying In & Another Says KKD Tried Taking Her Out on a Date When She Was Only 12 Years Old
- I had consensual sex with 19-year-old, not rape- KKD
It is unclear what might have triggered the A-G's doubt and whether it will press on with the charges of rape, even if it emerges that the letter is credible.
The 19-year-old student at the centre of the rape scandal was on Tuesday said to have stated that she was no longer interested in pursuing the case.
The complainant is reported to have written to the state, which is prosecuting KKD for rape, to convey her disinterest and desire to see the charges dropped.
According to sources, the two-page letter, dated January 12, 2015, is addressed to the Director of Public Prosecutions at the Attorney-General's (A-G's) Department and copied to the Chief Justice, the Registrar of the High Court and the Ghana Police Service.
The complainant reportedly cited the 'media frenzy' that followed the arrest of KKD and the unceasing buzz and social media posts, which she described as insensitive, for her decision.
She claims she is unable to continue cooperating with the police who are prosecuting the case, stressing that since the story of her rape by KKD broke, her life had taken a dramatic turn.
The victim further stated that she had not been able to appear in public without attracting hushed gossip and finger-pointing.
But appearing before Justice Kofi Essel Mensah of the Human Rights Court, Ms Cynthia Lamptey, acting Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), stated that the A-G was checking the authenticity of the said letter which she noted had raised a lot of issues that must be looked at.
In respect of the letter, she said it was only the A-G who could take a decision on the said letter, although the parties in the case had earlier on met in the judge's chambers on the missive.
He had earlier filed a 30-paragraph motion on notice for bail pending trial at the court in which KKD, among other things, had wanted to impress on the court that the sex he had with the lady was consensual after the police had charged him for rape; and a magistrate's court subsequently denied him bail.
Although Ms Lamptey opposed the bail application arguing that KKD's remand did not cause his sickness, Justice Mensah ruled in favour of the applicant.
He stated that the right to life is invaluable, stressing that when a person is arrested it is the duty of the state to take care of the health needs of that person.
Justice Mensah accordingly granted bail to KKD in the sum of GH¢20,000 with two sureties.
It is the case of the prosecution that KKD, aged 49, at about 9pm on December 27, 2014 at the African Regent Hotel in Accra, had carnal knowledge of the 19-year-old student in a bathroom without her consent.
By: Jeffrey De-Graft Johnson
Related StoriesI had consensual sex with 19-year-old, not rape- KKD
- Family, friends mark first anniversary of Komla Dumor
- Mona Montrage faiz kenpong's girlfriend is an international prostitute and a fraud says Adams her former boyfriend and fiancee
- Adams is Man Says Overnight Celebrity- MONA MONTRAGE FAIZ aka Hajia4Reall is a FRAUD & He Has Evidence But He Sounds a Little Dim Too
- Man Who Claims He Died And Resurrected, Presents Photos Of His Funeral And Receipts – Bizarre Photos
- Afia Schwarzenegger shows a lot of skin in daring short dress
- Mahama calls for increased financial support to combat Ebola
- Ghanaian troops serving with UN Mission in Liberia awarded medals
- Emile Short Lied; He Ordered The Residential Renovation—CHRAJ Boss Fumes
- NPA Under More Pressure To Reduce Fuel Prices
- G2 Lab, Tobinco, Sleek Cosmetics And J.M Addo & Sons Celebrate With Mount Zion Widows