A Tarkwa circuit court on Tuesday sentenced Bismark Owusu, a 24-year-old galamsey operator (illegal miner) to 40 years' imprisonment term in hard labour for robbing a taxi driver.
He robbed his victim of GH¢120.00, a Techno mobile telephone and car head tape valued GH¢400.00.
The convict was discharged from the Tarkwa local prison last year.
About two weeks ago, the convict attempted to rob another person and was arraigned before the Tarkwa district court but was discharged because the complainant failed to show up.
Passing the sentence, the judge, Mr. Justice Obeng Asante, said the convict must be isolated from the public for a long period.
Prosecuting, Chief Inspector Oscar Amponsah told the court that the complainant, Kwadwo Sampong, is a taxi driver and the convict resides at Akoon, a suburb of Tarkwa.
He said at about 2040 hours on January 24, this year, Sampong was driving a taxi with registration number BA 1838-13 when the vehicle was hired by Owusu from Bogoso junction to Aboso.
Chief Inspector Amponsah said on reaching a section of the road near Aboso, the convict pulled out a kitchen knife and ordered the driver to stop and surrender the money he had on him else he (convict) would kill him.
The prosecutor said the complainant refused to comply and so the convict struggled with him and in the process, inflicted a deep cut on the right palm of Owusu, freed himself and escaped, leaving the vehicle behind.
Chief Inspector Amponsah said Owusu then robbed the complainant of the money and the other items.
He said the complainant rushed to the Aboso-Tarkwa lorry park to board a vehicle back to Tarkwa to report the incident to the police.
Chief Inspector Amponsah said while the complainant was at the back seat of a taxi waiting for passengers, Owusu also boarded the same vehicle.
According to him, the complainant kept quiet until they got to a police check point at Bogoso junction where he gave the convict out to the police officer on duty. He was arrested with the complainant's belongings.
Chief Inspector Amponsah said after investigation Owusu was charged with the offence.
- No Cash For District Assembly Elections
- GWC blames acute water shortage in Western Region on power crisis
- Interdicted Director of Korle-Bu Pharmacy 'happy' with forensic audit
- Guilty Or NotA-G READY For KKD
- Dumsor Demo For March 6
- Japan Supports Five Communities
- Dr Ametewee defrauds NHIA of GH¢415,000
- MEET Yaw Offei - The limping photographer who has slept with 84 women in begro - Full Biography and History
- EXCLUSIVE PICTURES: Begoro S£xtapes man victims as chief says he's an SDA Choir master
- 37-year-old woman wanted for alleged GH¢470,000 theft