Authorities of Kotwi, a community in the Atwima Kwawonma constituency in the Ashanti region have responded swiftly to the cry of inhabitants by clearing the mountainous refuse dump located in the mist of the town exposing residents to serious health risks.
A large number of people have had the trouble to deal with Cholera since the mountainous refuse dump led to the outbreak and kept spreading at an alarming rate in the town.
What made the situation worse was that the same dumping place was also used as a place of convenience for both men and women in the community since there was no toilet facilities to serve the community..
Residents had made several appeals to both past and present governments but to no avail.
Some people, mostly closer to the dumping site have been affected with various environmentally related diseases as well as leaving others dead.
Briefing ModernGhana on the development, the Assembly Man for the area Hon. Asiedu Asafo Adjei, revealed that it is this direction that he joined forces with Mr. Afirifa Konta, a private developer with support from the district assembly to begin work at the site to clear the refuse and reorganize the site to prevent diseases.
"The district assembly and Nananom of Kotwi town went into agreement with Mr. Afirifa Konto to clear and rebuild the place with the construction of a modern toilet facility. We have suffered for a long time, and our people are suffering and I believe strongly that this step will go a long way to help us," he stated.
According to him, the heap of refuse had been there for the past 40-years and has accumulated to that mountainous level. He said, his office had written numerous letters to authorities but no response till date.
The facility for public place of convenience is expected to be completed within the next six months. The place will be supplied with new refuse containers from Zoomlion Company Limited.
"This is the biggest challenge facing this town and now my people will shout for joy and welcome it. Mr. Afirifa Konta funding the project is also happy to help his community.
Mr. Afirifa on his part reiterated his outfit's continuous support for the community.
- KKD accuser can't withdraw case; faces subpoena if
- Mona Kenpong is Hajia4reall - Pictures, Photos and Videos
- KKD Granted GHC 20,000 Bail by human rigths court
- Operation Cowleg To Throw Fulani Herdsmen Out Of Agogo, But Natives Are Skeptical About The Outcome
- Circle, Kasoa Interchange Projects Are A Waste Boakye Agyarko
- 56 Students Sanctioned For Cheating In Exam With WhatsApp
- Komlas Wife And Children Are holding Together—Dr. Korshie Dumor
- 157 Females To Contest Assembly Elections In E/R
- Farmers Call For Military Help To Stem Cocoa Smuggling
- Antwi-Danso Lauds Govt For National Sanitation Day