Commercial drivers, especially those who drive taxis have been advised to be extra vigilant to prevent brutalisation or snatching of their vehicles by armed robbers.
This advice by the Accra Regional Police Command comes after they arrested a three-member gang engaged in the practice.
Deputy Regional Commander ACP Timothy Yoosa Bonga said the three attempted snatching a taxi cab on January 10. They attacked the driver using a machete after boarding the cab at 11 pm.
He explained that two of the suspects, David Amartey aka Teye Raja and Eric Paa Kwesi Essel were recently released from prison under the justice for all programme.
The three robbers
The taxi driver according to ACP Bonga, grabbed the machete the robbers attempted to use on him and shouted for help.
People around the area who heard the driver called on the police.
ACP Bonga said that but for the bravery of the taxi driver and the timely arrival of the police team, the taxi driver would have been severely injured.
The taxi cab the robbers attempted to snatch
The ACP also advised students not to walk alone at night as robbers take advantage of the dark to perpetuate their act.
In a related development, a student of the University of Ghana was on the 6 th of January robbed of her handbag containing GHÈ»2,000 and other valuables while walking on the pavement near the Pentagon hostel at 8pm.
The victim, who wants to remain anonymous, narrates the incident to Joy News.
Listen to the audio.
- GH¢237m Drugs Burnt In Tema Fire
- Notorious Car Snatcher Arrested
- Man Resurrects After Burial
- Wassa Students Condemn EC Boss
- ECG to roll out new load shedding timetable
- Central Medical Stores had no fire certificate - Interim report
- Firefighters resort to expired surgical masks in Central Medical Stores disaster
- KKD accuser can't withdraw case; faces subpoena if
- Mona Kenpong is Hajia4reall - Pictures, Photos and Videos
- KKD Granted GHC 20,000 Bail by human rigths court