The Central Medical Stores at the Tema Heavy Industrial Area that was ravaged by fire on Tuesday and Wednesday was not insured.
Public Relations Officer of the Health Ministry confirmed to Morning Starr host Kafui Dey on Wednesday that the storage facility is just one of many state facilities that have not been insured.
Firefighters have been struggling to douse the blaze for close to 24 hours after fire ravaged the biggest drug storage and distribution outlet belonging to the Ministry of Health in Ghana.
About 70 firefighters were on the scene since Tuesday morning to battle the blaze, according to Deputy Public Relations Officer of the Ghana National Fire Service, Billy Anaglatey.
The storage facility also serves as a depot for World Health Organization's supplies.
Anti-retroviral medicines for HIV / AIDS patients as well as drugs for malaria and virtually all medicines, drugs and medical logistics used in Ghana’s hospitals are kept at the facility.
It is believed that the fire was caused by a burning bush a few metres away from the main building.
Anaglatey confirmed to Kafui Dey Wednesday that all three hydrants around the area are not working hence the firefighters had to fall on private water tankers to supply them with water to douse the blaze.
There are fears Ghana is going to run short of medicine at the various hospitals following the blaze, the Ghana Health Service has warned.
The Director General of the Service, Dr. Appiah Denkyira, described the situation as a “disaster”.
He said although they are yet to assess the extent of damage at the scene, it will certainly have an awful effect on drug supply in Ghana.
“There are all sorts of drugs there from malaria, tuberculosis, medications, hospital items, beds. It is going to be a disaster because now our daily consumption we will not be able to get it,” Dr Denkyira told Accra-based Joy FM.
“What it means is that we are going to run short of medications at facilities because that is the place where we store all [consumables]. The only hope is we have stock at the regions so we will fall on that”.
- KKD Rape Saga: Ewuraffe Could Be Charged + New PHOTO
- Manhyia Palace Summons Afriyie Acquah’s Wife, Amanda For Mentioning Otumfuor In Her Infamous Mona Audio
- Gh 263million lost in Central Medical Stores fire disaster
- I thank God for my life - Afotey Agbo
- HOT SHOTS: ‘Fraudulent’ HIV/AIDS Ambassador- Joyce Dzidzor Nartey Releases New Promo Photos
- We can't have madmen in police uniforms - lawyer fumes
- Mampong Midwifery Training School Donates Items To 3 Nurses Who Were Fire Victims
- Another Prophecy: Pregnant Women To Be Killed For Rituals
- Mampong Municipal Health Directorate 2014 Performance Review
- Veep Seeks To Deepen Ghana/spain Economic Relations