Ghana’s Parliament Tuesday, November 11, 2014 deferred the consideration of the GMO Plant Breeders Bill which is currently at its consideration stage in the House.
The action came at the direction of the Speaker Doe Adjaho, who said it was important the content of the document captures the views and concerns Ghanaians has raised.
They were joined by the Ghana Catholic Bishops' Conference, Coalition of Ghana Farmers Association, Movement for Farmers Right against GMO Ghana, the National House of Chiefs, BrongAhafo Traditional Chiefs and many others.
The founder and the leader of the Alive Chapel International Elijah SalifuAmoako in an interview has appealed to the Ghana’s Parliament to withdraw the approval of the GMO Plant Breeders Bill before them.
He made this appeal at the Church's Headquarters in Accra over the weekend during the third Edition of Health Walk organized for the congregation.
The GMO Plant Breeders Bill which was put before the House last year has generated a lot of controversy as the Convention People’s Party (CPP) and pressure group - Food Sovereignty Ghana - started a movement against the bill.
According to the Bishop, the GMO method and abuse of fertilizer will not enhance the health condition of Ghanaians but rather will cause many health problems and will reduce the life span of Ghanaian.
He proposed Ghanaian farmers should rather be encouraged and supported to go the organic way of growing food crops and with good exercise, Ghanaians will leave long.
“The exercise has really help the growth of the church and individual health in the sense that sick people is hardly to be found in his church unlike a decades where people always come to church with different kinds of sickness therefore citizens especially pastors must include health activities in their programs and also educate members on the need to take issues serious. “He said.
He asked especially all believers not to be solely Bible dependent but also cultivate the habit of a good lifestyle, eating well balance diet and physical training so to live and fulfill the promise of God.
- Vodafone ‘Men’ Mentor 400 JHS Boys
- Veep Ammisah Arthur Leads Health Walk From Ayi Mensah To Aburi Gardens At 63-Yrs
- Kaymu Educates Kantamanto Vendors On E-Commence To Boost Their Business
- Ghana Electrometer Advocates For More Private Investment In The Energy Sector
- USAID/MSH/NTBP & KNC Mark TB Care 1 Ghana Project
- AIDS Ambassador confesses: I am not HIV Positive
- Rawlings denies exonerating Kufuor in Ya Na's death
- Volta Chiefs Angry Over Dusty Roads
- Castro Pops Up In Takoradi
- Afia Schwarzenegger Jilted by Husband of 3 years as he's married to another woman and has 3 kids - she is in Shock, HeartBroken & Can’t Believe What is Happening